Semi Truck Breakdown
Why get truck road service? Anything can happen on the road, and it is always better to know who to call when things go wrong. The primary culprits are tires. The Technology and Maintenance Council says that 53.5% of roadside breakdowns are caused by tires. The other 46.5% of issues are caused by a variety of other factors. These can range from problems with the breaks, electrical systems, and refrigeration units. It’s always important to know how each part can cause a breakdown, and who to call for fast, professional, and reliable truck road service.
The Big Four
Although roadside failures are rarely predictable, it is possible to be aware of the four biggest factors in breakdowns. Beyond that, knowing about how your tires, breaks, electric, and refrigeration systems can cause problems can help you set up a maintenance plan to keep you safe on the road. Additionally, it is always a good idea to have a plan for truck road service.
Tires are the connection from the truck to the road. As such, they are often considered the most important part of the semi-truck. Because they are so important, however, they can be extremely dangerous when not properly maintained. As stated previously, tires are responsible for over 50% of truck road service calls. The leading causes of tire failure are:
Under inflation (creates excessive heat in the tire sidewall)
Low tread depth (more likely for the tires to be punctured)
Misaligned axles (accelerates tire wear)
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), brake-related issues cause up to 29% of semi-truck accidents and truck road service calls. Semi-truck’s disc and drum brakes are exposed to constant heat, pressure, and friction. Because of this, they wear down quickly without the proper maintenance. Brake issues are often caused by:
- Air leaks
- External corrosion and wear
- Internal water contamination (this can cause the airline to freeze up in the winter months)
The electrical system is another major that leads to truck breakdowns. The system is comprised of the starter motor, alternator, and battery. All of these parts are crucial, and if one fails your truck won’t function. Signs of an electric malfunction are corroded battery connections; dead batteries; dim or flickering lights; strong, unusual odors; and clicking sounds when starting the truck. These issues can often be risky or even dangerous to fix if you aren’t a professional, so it’s usually better to call a truck road service. Getting extensions is tough but fixing your electrical problems is even harder.
Refrigerated trailers are imperative when transporting temperature-controlled freight. When a reefer malfunctions, repairs are needed as soon as possible to prevent the freight from being damaged. For this reason, it is critical to monitor the trailer during transportation, paying close attention to any in-cab signals that might indicate something may be malfunctioning in the unit. When this issue happens, fast truck road service is absolutely critical.
Tips and Tricks Prevent Truck breakdowns
- Establish a regular preventive maintenance program
- Inspect your rig pre-trip, en-route, and post-trip
- Always have a plan for truck road service
- Analyze maintenance data to guide future fleet maintenance decisions
Truck Road Service
Need an emergency truck road service in Sacramento? Call Affordable Truck Repair
Affordable Truck Repair handles all different types of truck road service calls yearly. When your vehicle experiences roadside failure or requires mobile truck repair, trust our emergency truck road service to get you up and running as fast as possible. We treat every customer as our top priority by:
- Ensuring the driver is uninjured and safe from harm before anything else
- Taking care of every breakdown with the urgency and efficiency it deserves
- Rushing the our mobile repair or the appropriate vendor to your location
- Keeping constant communication with you until the mobile repair is complete
Moore, Tim. “Common Causes of Semi-Truck Breakdowns.” FleetNet America, FleetNet America, 30 June 2017, fleetnetamerica.com/blog/post/common-causes-of-semi-truck-breakdowns.